During my pregnancy I was inspired to create a few things for our little one. I didn’t want to do anything overly ambitious because we already had quite a bit on our plate (i.e. renovating our home), so I chose just two things to make: a baby play gym and a quilted play mat.
Making a play gym was super easy to do. I just got some inspiration from Pinterest, collected up some bits and pieces to hang from the frame and started threading.
Here’s what you need to make one yourself:
- Play gym frame – from Decor Handled (it’s easy to disassemble and store flatly)
- Wooden and crocheted beads + wooden animal(s) – I found these all in one craft box on AliExpress, here (this box comes with string too)
- Wooden rings – for hanging on the play gym frame (also came as part of the craft box above)
- Any other bits and pieces you want to use – I used the end of a key ring (the white tassel thing) and a woollen pom pom that my nana made
- A thick needle – for threading string through the beads
- Drill – optional: I had to use one for the wooden elephant because it wasn’t pre-drilled
And thread away! I kept the strings a bit longer and tied them in bows so I could change the length of the beads as our wee one grows.